Health & Safety
Being Safe at School
Maintaining a safe and secure school environment and being prepared for emergencies on campus are of utmost importance to everyone at Bryn Mawr.
Faculty, staff, and students work together to make safety and security a priority. The school regularly reviews and tests the effectiveness of emergency procedures, plans, and drills in cooperation with Campus Security.
General Campus Safety
Our 26-acre residential setting and open, yet protected, campus environment allow members of the school community and the greater community, by permission, to take advantage of the beauty and amenities of our grounds.
All school employees are required to wear identification, and visitors to Bryn Mawr must display a visitor's badge. The school grounds are patrolled and monitored 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, by several full-time school security personnel and a professional security company.
In addition, a school administrator is on duty each school day between 3 and 6 p.m. as an emergency contact.
Communicating with Parents and Families
In the event of a weather-related or emergency school closing, Bryn Mawr will notify families via the e2Campus Emergency Notification System (ENS). All parents must subscribe to the system, which will broadcast notices directly to e-mail, voice, and text messaging inboxes.
Communications from the headmistress as well as divisional newsletters will be sent via the parent portal, which you can sign up for here. To sign up for e2Campus ENS, please click here.
Communicating with Members of the Campus Community
The school uses campus-wide bells and alarms, broadcast phone messages, web alerts, and the e2Campus ENS to notify school personnel and students of an emergency. School marshals communicate the protocol to be followed on our campus and, when necessary, Campus Security is in communication with Gilman School and Roland Park Country School by two-way radio, e-mail, and cell phone.
- The school grounds are patrolled and monitored 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, by several full-time school security personnel and a professional security company. Campus lighting is excellent.
- The school employs a full-time nurse and trains and certifies key personnel each year in the administering of emergency first aid and CPR as well as the use of epi pens and defibrillators. There are eight defibrillators on our main campus.
- The school's full-time athletic trainer works with our student athletes and adults on campus to help reduce and prevent injuries and maintain health and wellness.
- The school has after-hours emergency protocols in place, and school personnel are specifically trained to handle emergencies that may occur during off-school hours. In addition, a school administrator is on duty each school day between 3 and 6 p.m. as an emergency contact.
- After-school programs are supervised and staffed until every student is picked up.
- All school buildings are locked on a regular schedule in the evening; the Bryn Mawr Little School has an entrance on a buzzer system throughout the day.
- Detailed safety and security protocols are in effect for all school events on the main campus and at the Mt. Washington campus.
- Emergency drill procedures are posted in each school building and classroom. All personnel and students participate in emergency drills throughout the year, which include fire drills, lockdown drills, and weather drills. The school has regularly updated crisis and disaster plans and a pandemic flu plan.
- School personnel and teachers review emergency procedures and must take a blood-borne pathogens quiz each year.
- Information about campus safety and security is shared on a regular basis with the tri-school community as well as with area neighborhood associations.
How You Can Help
- Let your child know that if anyone or any situation on campus makes her feel uncomfortable, she should tell an adult immediately.
- If you are on campus and notice someone or something suspicious, call Campus Security immediately at 410-323-8800 x1567, 443-744-7424, or 443-552-8896.
- If someone is in need of medical assistance or if there is an emergency or life-threatening situation, call 911 first, then contact Campus Security.
- If your child will be absent from school, dropped off late, or picked up early, please notify the administrative office in your child's division.
- Please remember to keep your contact information current at school; subscribe to the school's e2Campus Emergency Notification System and sign up for the parent portal.
410-323-8800, ext. 1616
410-323-8800, ext. 1242
Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
School Closings are also announced on WBAL-AM radio (1090 AM), posted on the school's website, and recorded on the school's voice message system.
Asbestos Management Plan
In 1986 Congress enacted the Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA). This law contained comprehensive regulations developed to address asbestos problems in schools. In compliance with these regulations, Bryn Mawr's campus was inspected in 1987 to determine the location and condition of asbestos. As a further part of the regulations, a plan was developed to manage the asbestos. This includes semi-annual inspections by our staff, as well as inspections by certified inspectors once every 3 years. The school's Management Plan, which is required to be maintained by law, is updated on an annual basis.
The whole plan is available for inspection in the Business Office on regular work days from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The Assistant Head of School for Finance and Administration and/or the Director of Operations are also available to answer any questions you may have. Please feel free to call either one at (410) 323-8800.
Learn more about Bryn Mawr through our school infographic!